PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging hours as FO
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2016, 10:53
Wageslave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having been FW for the last 20 years I am amazed to find the definition given above for P1u/s. Amazed to find that it still exists in that form, it's correct form.

Amazed because as soon as I got my command on f/w my FOs were proffering logbooks at the end of a day's flying and expecting me to sign P1u/s without it ever having been mentioned in advance! I got a bit of a reputation for being a grumpy sod for declining. It now seems universal in many if not most UK airlines that every jet f/o writes - now figure this out - every handling sector as P1u/s!! No discussion, no mention of this to the skipper, no signatures any more, every f/o, every day does this and even more bizarrely it is legal apparently having been OK'd by our wonderful CAA! The company endorsed their logbooks with a fib-stamp when they need licence assessments to say all is in order in the logbook. This is all enshrined in the Ops Manual.

No one in my last 2 f/w companies (both household names) but the oldest and crustiest had ever heard of the correct way of doing P1u/s. F/Os simply didn't believe me thinking I was winding them up. Many of our foreign (european) pilots were aghast at our P1u/s system though, so it is a local rule.

How the heck can the CAA run two such contradictory lines? What "logic", if I may so abuse the word, makes a handling sector be the one that a pilot makes the command decisions on? Do the CAA have any notion at all of the nature of aviation? What are they smoking down there in the Belgrano?

Thus all our F/Os appear to be gaining their ATPLs on an official, CAA sponsored dodge that would be illegal in the rest of Europe as I understand it. Strange!