PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job chances as a pilot internationally
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2016, 07:46
jamesgrainge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by akfnqwicvbouq
Have got a big cup of coffee and am working my way through the "Modular vs Integrated" thread. Very informative thanks! I never even considered it was possible to get the Licences you need for around 40000 pounds. But I wonder, are such cheaply obtained licenses "respectable"?

Another thing I don't quite understand ist at what stage you have a chance to get employed by an airline.
When most integrated or modular courses finish you have a CPL, MCC, MEP and so on. But is this enough to actually get employed?

Do you need a lot more flight hours over the ones you've got at this stage? And as far as I've understood you have not flown anything close to a jet yet, so when does that come in?
Yes, the licences that are gained through modular or Integrated are the exact same licence, and are just as respectable, especially if you go to a school that is fairly well recognised. After you gain a CPL you can get paid for flying, crop dusting, aerial photography etc. Although to fly for any kind of passenger base you will probably need an IR (instrument rating) and an ME (multi engine). And passes the ATPL theory exams. So now you have those licences at your chosen school, you have the exact same ticket as the person who went to CTC. Congratulations. You are both qualified pilots. So you want to fly a larger aircraft, now add a Multi Crew Cooperation Course (MCC), and you decide you want to fly a jet (which is most of us lets be honest). Now you must sit a Jet Orientation Course (JOC). At this point you have not sat in a jet, purely in the sim. No matter which school you have attended. At this point you can all rightfully apply to any airline for employment. Easyjet wont have us because they like to have their own crew tied into their airline with no hope of escape, and no flag carrier as they take their own cadets. Someone gives you a job, now you must go and get a Type Rating,which allows you to fly that one type of aircraft, 320, 737, 757 etc. At this point you will learn the aircraft in the sim, the airlines SOP and basically everything you need to know (line training) After passing the sim you will FINALLY after all the waiting, working and flying, sit yourself in the cockpit of the aircraft and perform a minimum of 6 (I think if I remember correctly) touch and go's until you get them right.
Then button up your uniform officer, you are off to the skies, congratulations!

Never ever believe the "certainty, the guarantee, the promises" of employment after training from any school. Nor their figures. There are hundreds of people who were Integrated students sat behind a desk wondering why, and there are hundreds of modular students sat in the left seat of a 747 feeling damn lucky and proud of themselves.

The only person who can complete all this training, is YOU! The only person who has the desire is YOU, the only person who will get themselves a job is YOU. The amount of bitter ex students with huge debt who badmouth things on this forum have a basic flaw, and its called "their attitude". A corner shop isn't going to hire an asshole, so why would an airline.

Always get a ppl first, then you will know if you actually enjoy flying in its purest form. Hope my ramblings have answered any questions, this place is full of far more knowledgeable people than me.