PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying for Qantas Regional Vs Longhaul?
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2016, 22:48
Mr Garrison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying for Qantas Regional Vs Longhaul?

Hi,

Interested to hear people's opinions of those who have transitioned from regional airline flying to long haul flying and what they think of it?

I'm currently a captain at QLink in mid 30's and thoroughly enjoy my job (most days!) but have caught a bit of the FOMO (fear of missing out) syndrome of late and whilst I have considered EK, I don't think it's for me to move over there for various reasons but the main one being that I love Australia and the lifestyle it offers me for my various activities I do outside of flying.

I'm quite interested in the thought of flying for mainline not primarily for the money but more for a new challenge and different operation. In my current job, I'm home most nights (approx 4 overnights a month) and get to have a balanced lifestyle and get paid pretty well as a captain.

For those that have transitioned from a similar position to mine that are now long haul flying, what do you think of it? Is the flying better/more interesting?, do you have more time off? How do you find the jet lag? What are the pro's and con's as you see it? Any regrets at all?

I think most of us here at some point reach a stage where we feel a plateau effect and need a new challenge and hence my interest in mainline but would be great to hear what others who have done it think about it all...

Thanks in advance for your feedback.