PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2016, 15:58
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T43562,

Thanks for coming back. I understand where you are coming from, but what I was trying to do (and clearly failing, for which my apologies) was to express some sense of appreciation for the achievements of the engineers involved, not the companies.

They are real people, like you and me. They work damn hard with little recognition. I can most definitely assure you that they do their work for a fraction of the money other professions get. They assume very large responsibility, are always being pressed for time, and constantly being asked to do stuff that no-one else in the world has ever done.

They have to put up with legions of managers, accountants and senior execs, all of whom have little or no idea of how damn hard the engineers' jobs are. Their main aim often appears to make the job even harder. But that is life on a large engineering project, and these people put up with it. And the F-35 is just about the biggest engineering programme in the world. It's Formula 1 level engineering on a mass scale, with the added problem that the vehicle falls out of the sky if it doesn't work properly.

And here's the thing. I went to 'work' over there fresh out of the UK services, with really no idea how hard the job was going to be. I must have been a constant hindrance, but I was met and treated with unfailing courtesy, forbearance, friendship and professional respect. The engineers didn't have time to backstab, gossip or plot - they just rolled up our sleeves and worked as a team to achieve the aim. It was a great place to be, and I'm proud of what the team has done.

Did things go wrong? Yes. Were mistakes made? Of course - we're humans beings. Did it take longer than the high priced execs said it would? Oh yes. And cost more? Yes.

But, I gently suggest, none of that stops us (if we are minded) to recognise and salute one hell of a technical achievment thats being delivered in front of us right now. With lots of British engineers fully involved. That's worth a small well done, isn't it?

Come on - you know you can do it.

Best regards as ever to all those who put up with me on the programme,

Engines