PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2016, 14:32
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HH,

I'd gently point out that we're not mentioning it's 10 years late, because it's not 10 years late.

I joined the programme in 2002, when we had an IOC for the F-35C that was 'around 2015', according to my own records of the programme briefs. The original batting order for the variants was A, B and then C. The B moved to the front of the queue in 2004 when the programme was rejigged to cope with the very severe weight problem facing all 3 variants. As the B had the biggest problem, it was nominated as the 'lead variant', so that the solutions could be fed into the A and C. From that point on, the batting order was B,A then C. As the programme has gone forwards, the gap between B,A and C IOC dates has closed.

The USN has always maintained that they would transition from F/A-18E/F to F-35C 'when the F-35C was ready', and have kept their timing options open. In my view (and thats all it is) that was a smart move.

Nearly all military aircraft programmes in the West have been late and well over cost. Reasons? Many. For my money, there's a well documented tendency for programmes to start with unduly optimistic estimates for cost and schedule. Typhoon was around 8 years late to original planed IOC. Tornado was around 5 years late. F-22 was around 6 years late. C-17 was late. And so on and so forth.

F-35C had a well publicised issue with the arresting gear, which they solved. They have also managed to get the approach speed down to an acceptable value that the arresting gear can cope with. They've also taken the art and science of carrier landing control technology a giant leap forwards. That will save lives and improve combat effectiveness. What I was trying to do, as an ex-member of the F-35 team, was to gently point out that they have achieved a great deal that many observers once said was impossible. Perhaps it might be nice once in a while to offer a gentle 'well done people'.

Or not.

Best Regards (from me) as ever to all those actually doing it for real now,

Engines