PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maintenance and Pilots on the ball.
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2016, 14:09
youngmic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before starting the engine select full coarse on the prop and be careful not to let the engine rev much on start up
Interesting...could this be one for Mythbusters? I have never tried it so obviously zero real world experience, maybe it works....

But given an aircraft needs exactly the same amount of thrust to move, it would likely follow that the same aerodynamic flow forces are in play. As such tip vortices and the surrounding frontal low pressure area might be much the same. In fact with a higher AoA what might occur is a greater amount of thrust at the tip and with it perhaps a stronger likelihood for a ground vortex to be created closer to the tip. As opposed to the finer pitch setting which may well have negligible AoA at the tip. If you watch those ground vortexes, once established they seem to like to settle about a 1/4 way up from the tip.

The difference only being a higher blade AoA and slower RPM, of course the slower RPM will have a significant mitigating effect on the size/depth of the dent. Assuming you can reach governing speed off idle, I seem to recall some types being shut down in course pitch to try and achieve this.

To my thinking the key to it is never let a stone sucking vortex even form from ground to prop as once it forms it will start picking up stones.

I liken the whole exercise to a bit like standing on a meat ants nest in thongs, it's no problem as long as you keep moving.

Interesting thought anyway.