PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2016, 12:57
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Her whole 'career' appears to be a story of self aggrandising funded by others.

This from her website...
Always adventurous, she is also passionate about other forms of early pioneering transport
and in particular, old cars. As a result, she took part in the 2007 centenary Peking to Paris
classic car rally that re-traced the route first driven by Prince Borghese in 1907. This involved
driving for six weeks through northern China, the Gobi Desert, across Russia to the Baltic and
on to Paris – an epic experience that combined great adventure with rugged endurance.
She certainly did take part in that event back in 2007, although as a passenger in the Chevrolet Fangio Coupe owned by the late wealthy Belgian financier Alain Grisay who funded the trip. Alain Grisay, Ex-JPMorgan Manager Who Led F&C Asset, Dies at 59 - Bloomberg

Alain Grisay was also a pilot and owned this.

Elsewhere we have this...

In preparation for her solo flight across Africa, Tracey was invited to join a 3 man Russian crew
ferry flying an old piston engined Antonov 2 biplane from Kiev to Cape Town. The aeroplane
was donated by Utair for humanitarian work in South Africa and supported by ExecuJet.

The route took the crew across northern Europe and down through Spain over the Straits of
Gibraltar to Morocco; south through Algeria, Niger, Nigeria, Gabon, and on down the west
coast of Africa.

The flight arrived in Cape Town on 20th of February 2013 having taken three months to complete
the journey which covered over 20,000km over 15 different countries, used over 85kg of maps
and flight charts, and had two enforced halts over several weeks in Port Harcourt and Cabinda
with visa and fuel issues.
source Tracey Curtis Taylor - Aviatrix, Adventurer, Inspirational Speaker

No mention of the fact she was a passenger and could not fly the AN2 as she does not have a Russian licence.

She appears to have no problem bending the truth when it comes to her flying experience.

She holds a UK ppl and had only 1460 hours in her logbook when she wrecked the R44 helicopter at Goodwood last year according to the AAIB accident report.

However her lack of hours did not stop her suggesting in a Daily Telegraph interview three years ago she has spent most of her life flying.

For Curtis-Taylor, this is the highlight of a life spent in the skies. The 51-year-old was raised in Canada and took her first flying lesson aged 16. "The instructor couldn't get rid of me," she says. "I just wanted to be there all the time."
But, it wasn't until she moved to New Zealand to live with her twin sister that her passion really took off. She started flying vintage aircraft, as they were cheaper - if harder to fly – graduating to work at air shows, with display teams and, more recently, Shuttleworth Museum, close to where she now lives in East Anglia.
"I understood very early on what I wanted in life," she says. "Most people get trapped in families, mortgages and kids. We just spend our lives nosing along at ground level."
She never did any display flying in NZ according to members of the NZ Warbirds at Ardmore.

Despite having Ewald Gritsch in the front seat, for all her Avia-trix adventures, she also claims to be a lonely pilot.
Curtis-Taylor calls herself a "bit of a maverick". She prefers to fly alone, telling me she's only taken her bemused family into the air a handful of times. For her, soaring among the clouds is a gloriously solitary pursuit.
Tracey Curtis-Taylor: Meet the daredevil recreating Lady Mary Heath's historic 1920s flight - Telegraph

The HCAP banquet in October and the Masters Medal award will be the pinnacle of her so called Bird In a Biplane strategy to have a place alongside heroic female pilots.

With all the facts known the key question is why do so many important people in aviation turn a blind eye to what has clearly been a series of dual flights sold to the media as solo and funded by wealthy sponsors?

If you read my post 1139 and put the jigsaw together the reason becomes obvious

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 21st Aug 2016 at 13:57.