PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Float training
Thread: Float training
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2016, 12:10
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, Chuck has it right. It's one thing to have an idea as to how to fly a float plane. It's every bit as important to know why you need to fly it a certain way in a certain situation. Unlike wheel operations, every place you land and take off a floatplane will not be an airport, and you'll have a lot of things to figure out for yourself to make an airport out of it for yourself. When I train floats, I spend a lot of time taking the pilot to different places to set up landings, and plan takeoffs, and practice arriving to shore with success.

I can recommend Lake Country Airways, in Orillia, Ontario.

Lake Country Airways: floatplane training, endorsements, float charters and rentals

They train in 172's and a 185. You are unlikely to find any training in a Beaver, though there are a few around, and you might be able to arrange a flight.

There are also some great trainers in British Columbia, and the scenery is great there. It's a different type of flying there to Ontario, with more to learn about mountain flying, but not as many lakes to hop one to the next easily as Ontario. Ontario is flat, with rather constant weather. BC is variable, both topography and weather!

Some photos I have posted of flying in Canada are here:

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying...te-flying.html