PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IPAQ based GPS or Garmin 196
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2003, 18:59
Boing_737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IPAQ based GPS or Garmin 196

Hi all,
I am in the process of trying to decide which GPS to buy. I am keen to get one as a backup to my normal nav.

The two choices I have narrowed down to are either one based on an Ipaq (Navman GPS or similar), or the Garmin196.

The reason for shortlisting the Ipaq device is because you can load the digitised CAA charts onto it, and I feel that this would lead to better situational awareness as regards restricted airspace, and I have heard that the databases for the American manufactured GPS systems do not always have certain types of airspace marked on them. Also, the digitised maps for the Ipaq would be updated whenever the CAA update their charts.

Another aspect of using the Ipaq are all the other utilities that can be found on the Internet for them, such as weight and balance calculators, electronic whiz wheels, and the ability to program the wifes birthday and wedding anniversary into the date planner

I fancy the 196 because it looks good, and the display seems to be quite clear (and other people have said in reviews that it is very good).

I would like to know of your experiences with any of the above, or indeed, if you have any other suggestions for reasonably priced (if there is such a thing) GPS systems.

Cheers Dudes.

Boing_737