PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Opinions on this Crosswind Take-off from heavy metal flyers please
Old 21st Aug 2016, 08:22
Mikehotel152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In terms of maintaining centreline tracking, if there was tyre slippage, I don't think the pilots would be able to tell. All they can feel through the controls is gusts pulling the nose into wind and they would instinctively counter the yaw with rudder.

If the main gear tyres were slipping slightly at that time, that would have been caused by the overall wind effect exceeding the grip from the tyres. It's possible. The pilots aren't 'power drifting' a sports car, so I suspect any slippage of the main wheel tyres 75 feet behind them wouldn't be obvious. Those with more experience than I on slippy runways would be better placed to comment.

However, I don't think the video shows tyre slippage. Even at 100 knots the plane is covering 50m a second. If lateral displacement were 2-3 metres over the course of 2 or 3 seconds of video (over 100m of runway) that's well within my expectation of the aircraft tracking downwind of the centreline due to a gust before the pilots can correct.

Disclaimer: I have only just started my morning coffee and my brain is only engaged in 1st gear while typing.