PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2016, 07:59
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,

I know that I am probably repeating myself, but....

Watching the F-35C doing that series of events in the video shows that they team at Fort Worth, and also at Lakehurst and Pax River, have managed a truly impressive technical feat.

They've got a substantial low observable aircraft to a point where it can safely and reliably do that really difficult thing called cat and trap operations. To do that they've had to solve many problems along the way, including getting approach speed down without using standard high lift devices (LO won't let you do that), developing a stealth arresting hook installation (not at all straightforward), achieving reliable launch characteristics (tough), good bolter behaviour (really hard), and the ability to safely wave off (never a given).

Oh, and along the way, developing a true leap forward in a new control system philosophy for carrier landings - just watch this again and look at how EVERY control surface is working away to give the pilots the easiest possible landings....which is the best possible outcome.

This aircraft will now give the US a massive 'one two punch', with F-35s able to deliver true 'first day of the war' punch from both CVNs and LHDs. QEC ops to come in a couple of years.

And yes, I've said it before, but.....much of this was down to a massive contribution from a talented UK team over there, working in almost all areas of the programme, but especially flight controls, flight trials, mission systems and propulsion systems.

Great to see.

All the best to all those who've worked so hard to achieve this,

Engines