PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2016, 06:16
ExSp33db1rd

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation

I'm with Sailor.

Some of the WWII ex - Lancaster Bomber "North Atlantic Barons" (ex- Sp33db1rd guys will understand!) couldn't even fly a respectable NDB approach to save their lives - some of them - but pop out of cloud too high, too fast, and not yet properly configured, and say "the runway's over there, Sir" (never forgetting the Sir ! ) and they would straighten up and fly a magificent manual approach to a textbook touchdown.

Surely there is a case for both philosophies ? Computer controlled for the "normal" operations that occur 99% of the time these days, and the North Atlantic Baron capability when the Chips are down and the computer has been hacked by Murphy ?

One of the NAB's once suggested to me that a public transport aeroplane should be capable of being flown by the company's worst pilot on a day when he felt poorly, the one we were on couldn't - in his opinion ( name suppressed to protect me from any litigation, but he was fresh off a British designed and built aeroplane). Surely the same should be said for when the aeroplane feels poorly? Remember, computers never fail, never fail, never fail, tho' sometime suffer from User mishandling, and Murphy is always with us.

Quote .. " when in doubt, lash out ". ( throttles, mixture, pitch, carb.heat all fully forward - fast ). Surely the same applies when one only has 2, or occasionally these days 4, levers to grab ? What's the problem ?