PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Level Abeam
Thread: Level Abeam
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2016, 17:14
172_driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
172 driver, thanks for that, I'm beginning to see that basically both sides see this rather differently. If given a vector and therefore no longer following the STAR, how do you manage speed control and be compliant with the speeds published on the STAR? They have to be complied with without ATC instruction. I am slightly confused though that you just relate this to being on a STAR, no documentation mentions any variances when on a STAR, only SIDs, what happens if you are given instructions before you get to a STAR? Is that different? Finally, you say if given a heading off track then you could shallow your rate as you are going in the wrong direction, does it work the other way where if you were put on a heading that was tracking you on a direct line toward GWC you would increase to meet the FL130 level GWC restriction?
As I don't go to London on a daily basis I am trying to backtrack in mind here what's the normal sequence of events. With regards to speed; We're often speed controlled early on so we just maintain assigned speed. It's always LAM3A (for LHR) for me and I don't think I've come anywhere near the published SLP (Speed Limit Point) without having been given a speed already.

If the heading gives me more track miles I like to shallow RoD unless I need to meet a level restriction. If the heading shortens track miles there are few scenarios: 1) If I am below the thrust idle profile (glide profile, our optimum descent profile) I keep a reduced RoD until meeting the idle profile. Needs some mental calculations based on expected track miles - you might have heard of 3 x altitude formula. 2) If the shortened track puts me high than I can increase speed which steepens the flight trajectory 3) If shortened track puts me high but we're speed controlled then I have no choice but using the vibrator - ( also known as speed brake lever ) But no, I wouldn't automatically try to meet FL130 by GWC unless that was specifically stated with the heading instruction (i.e. fly heading 090 expect FL130 by GWC). At the same time, and it probably varies on a day to day basis for me, there's a general notion to stay ahead and predict the next move. If I see it likely I could get a direct GWC to be level at 130 I continue with a higher RoD to plan for that.

SIDs and STARs works similar in my mind. When given a SID or STAR the lateral, vertical and speed profiles apply. A heading that takes me off the SID or STAR cancels the whole thing. I would never dream of climbing above something other than a verbally acknowledged altitude. I've never liked the term "climb now". Speed restrictions at different waypoints are also cancelled when taken of the SID, since those won't be overflown anymore.