PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Level Abeam
Thread: Level Abeam
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2016, 13:59
172_driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many of these examples do you think means you can now ignore the previous level by or expect level instruction?
As before, when a heading is given the arrival is void. I go to London maybe once a month and rarely find it a problem with level adherence as you are coming in quite low with small step descents. There is always time to correct when a new level restriction is introduced at short notice. Also, in the hypothetical conversation you posted the sentiment in your controlling is in the back of your mind and regarded in your flight path management.

I still do not understand how a vector is an amendment to a clearance.
We have a fundamentally different view of headings in that case. To me a heading is definitely a new clearance as I am no longer tracking the magenta line on the navigation display and can no longer say "I am following the STAR". I don't buy the argument that being within the airway width means I am still following the STAR. I was just given a heading??

If given a heading 20 deg off my track I might want to shallow my rate of descent because to me it looks like I am going in the wrong direction. I don't know that you will give me a direct routing in the right direction within 30 seconds. In other places, the first heading means that was the last of procedural navigation. Rest of the flight until landing will be headings to final.

Lastly, documentation, whether ICAO docs or AIP, rarely keep up with reality. I understand your problem with busy frequencies. Often you just have to sit and wait for someone to call you. The ICAO lost communication is another one that worked in the 1930's with an airplane flying no higher than 5000 ft. But today??

Keep up the good work! I enjoy the night stops in London the most, if I can get down without being flamed at for a bust level restriction