PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2016, 13:38
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
A terrible scene of devastation in those two pictures, John. Merely looking at them from an uniformed standpoint they do seem to match, ie taken of the LHS and RHS of the point of impact. Indeed the sloping blast damage to the left hand building is almost reflected exactly in that of the right hand building. Also notable the seemingly minor damage to the line of houses behind the rubble (no doubt their windows were blown in but the roofs appear to be intact).

Presumably this was typical of a V2 impact. Total ground level devastation within the blast radius which was however sharply coned by the supersonic speed of impact, but would appreciate input from those better equipped than I.

Quite agree about it being terrifying. I believe that the "V" of the V weapons stood for "Vergeltungswaffen", or retaliatory weapons. Retaliation for what though? I suspect that it alludes to the so called "Terror Bombing" of Germany by the RAF and USAAF. Being a civilian in WWII, especially of a city or large town, put you in the front line no matter if you were German, British, or any other inhabitant of "half a hundred" such targets.

Was there a policy of "misinformation" re the impact locations for the V2's as there was for the V1's? If so was it as effective? Again, all contributions gratefully received...