PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - French aircraft Algeria
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2016, 10:39
Geezers of Nazareth

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not necessarily connected with the original query, but ... Quite a few years ago I was doing some research into the various marks of T-6/Harvard that operated with various European countries in the 50s/60s and 70s. In an un-related email about French military aircraft somebody posted the web-address of a military archive in France. I went for a look to see if there was any info about T-6s ... I hit the 'mother-lode'!

I found a listing of French military crashes, by aircraft type, from the early 40s up until the early 90s. So, I ploughed through the records and made notes of all the various models of T-6 that had been involved in various incident and crashes. Essentially, it gave the date and location, identity of the aircraft, and sometimes brief notes about what happened.

With a little more work and research I was able to identify about 650 French Air Force T-6s. Some of them even managed to crash 3 times! In the late 50s and very early 60s they were managing to crash about 3 of 'em per month!, but they did have over 700 to play with.

A few years ago the web-site was taken-down for a re-vamp and tidy-up, and when it came back access to this database of crashes was no longer available.

(I will see if I can find the web-address again; if I find it I will post again)