PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Legality of employer covering PPL flight training costs?
Old 20th Aug 2016, 08:52
Steve6443

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clareprop
What an arrogant, pointless and aggressive response to a genuine question from a new poster.
Sorry, I don't view his question as 'arrogant, pointless and aggressive' - after all, there has been too much bull**** spread around about what the implications are of a PPL having others pay for his flight and the comment was, as I understood it, merely along the lines of

tell us how you perceive these rules to be and then we can see if your understanding is correct.

In fact, in terms of pointless and arrogant answers, yours appears to top the lot.

So I'll rephrase the question to the OP:

Could you perhaps please explain how you view the implications of flying, as a PPL, with someone else paying / contributing to the costs? Then we can discuss whether you've heard the right info or just gossip.

In my eyes, nothing is worse than going into a venture with totally inaccurate information or half truths....

Coming back to the topic and addressing T4RG4, the taxman would infer that the PPL could be used for private purposes and is therefore a 'benefit in kind' hence liable for tax. As others have said, I would suggest having a tax expert looking at either

1) impact of employer paying and amount of tax / NI due

or

2) possibility of having an increased salary but see if HMRC would recognise PPL as a legitimate expense in order to improve your working qualifications. In this case, you'd pay for the PPL yourself but be able to deduct a certain amount against your tax bill

and then go with the one which is most beneficial for you. But even if the only way forward is for the employer to pay for the PPL, I'd definitely take the offer, go for the PPL and enjoy!