PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2016, 19:06
sailor

Location: Back in the UK from the Sunshine Island for the last 8 years.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adherence to SOP etc.

Many moons ago flying for a well-known UK based carrier flying charter and scheduled flights with a huge variety of destinations same Flight Inspector allowed us to fly all models of BAC 1-11's, yet insisted our kilted cousins fly either their 200 or 500 models, not both. One charter, the other schedules, so a much more limited variety of flying for each. Never understood that.

Company SOP across all fleets was hand fly going and coming below 10000 feet. Everyone benefited from that hands on handling experience.

My only actual not sim engine failure on the 1-11 occurred at TOD which made life much easier than had it occurred on departure.

Having completed Emergency Checklist, discussed with copilot if there was anything else beneficial we could do and it was agreed that lighting the APU would be a good thing, which surprisingly was not in the aforementioned checklist, which we did. Spare air and electrics obviously plus a teeny bit of additional thrust !! Reminiscent slightly of the Trident poke development.

UK destination CAVOK so elected visual approach which ATC OK'd.

Carried out approach higher than normal such that, in the 10 to the minus whatever likelihood the other motor chose to quit, a deadstick would be possible.

Stacks of those practised in the Hunter in my previous life and also in spare time in the sim in Dublin so felt confident it was an option. Practicality proved on a different mount by the Gimli Glider sometime later and the A300 Azores copy. Neither may I add by me.

Unsurprisingly, good motor continued as advertised, achieved stable powered approach later than normal, still capable of a deadstick should it be a late surprise event, managed the usual greaser and stopped well short of the end.

Wrote and submitted incident report; later discussed event with Fleet Manager who berated me for not carrying out the sim well-established ILS procedure, and refused to admit that the addition of the use of the APU in the Emergency Checklist would be useful. Insisted it was merely a matter of airmanship. I suggested that if it were a good wheeze and as it was quite unusual to experience this event in an average fling career it might just be useful to have in the E C as a reminder to even the top airmanship king. No - simple matter of airmanship old boy ! Fought my case with an eventual concession that the ILS might not perhaps be the only option in these circumstances, but final refusal on APU inclusion. Never did understand that, but then I was only a line pilot.

Subsequent Kegworth B737 event might have been different had they had their APU on.

Plus ca change etc. Goes back a long way and yes, I have done the Long BS Course !

Enjoying retirement but still occasional hankering to be back up there with those of you who are !

Final thought- BGO - no matter how clever and sophisticated the automatics are, which they definitely were in the Global Express which I was fortunate enough to pole in my subsequent aviation career, anyone in the pointy end MUST be able to handfly what they are sitting in and be able to recognise and take over capably in the event of an automatics malfunction. Or everyone could perish.