PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Opinions on this Crosswind Take-off from heavy metal flyers please
Old 18th Aug 2016, 21:37
BugSmasher1960

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PENKO
Sure Goldenrivet, there will be slipping eventually when you lift off. But that is not what all the people on Facebook are oooh-ing and aaaah-ing about! In this topic there is even talk of 'power sliding'. No such things going on on ANY takeoff in max crosswind conditions that I have flown. Even in the worst crosswinds the plane will generally follow where the nose is pointed. I have never done a crabbed takeoff roll
I hear what you're saying - totally.

With the nose pointing, say, 11 deg left of the centreline - the video shows nose left / tail right - but what it DOESN'T show (due to the angle) is the aircraft (probably) changing it's direction of travel (so it's still aligned with the direction it's pointing). So no slippage.

There are some moments where the nose goes left but the wheels slip to the right though. On a dry runway I'd expect that to either (a) not happen due to increased grip or (b) smoke / squeal as it happened (not that you'd see the smoke in that wind). That wasn't a dry runway though - I suspect that the dampness "lubricated" the slip quite nicely.

I've accidentally left power on during a cross-wind landing once (in General Aviation) and had a similar thing - tyres definitely didn't like it.

To my "general aviation" eyes that take-off looked a bit "on the limit" - but reading through your comments and watching it again I can now appreciate that it was well controlled. I'm not sure that all pilots would have the confidence & competence to pull it off though.