PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging hours as FO
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2016, 17:55
LowEnArgh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thread drift but a few comments from reading the above.

fohnwind
In fact, having co-pilot hours will often rule you out of an onshore job. Witness the recent PAS HEMS hiring policy of hiring 200 hour HEMS co-pilots (without an IR) as oppose to hiring more experienced pilots.
I'm not sure this is true. It's a minimum, not the standard. I think a good offshore P2 with an IR/MCC and multi-crew experience would be seen rather favourably if the face fit, as would a good onshore FI with 500hrs P1 time - either could be equally as competent in the role. I believe they hire from across the spectrum. I know most of the guys previously employed in HEMS P2 roles, and their experience ranged from 250hrs without IR to 2500hrs offshore ME with IR, with everything in-between.

I would have thought that it's better to hire a pilot with an IR who has proper multi crew experience. But apparently not...
Some HEMS is moving in the direction of day/night NVIS multi-crew IFR. Others are day-VFR only. Indeed some day hems aircraft don't have AP/SAS/ILS/EFIS or captains with IR's. The last thing they need sat next to them is an over experienced P2 who feels entitled to a P1 slot because of their S92 rating and 1500hrs P2 offshore, trying to big themselves up with tales of IFR/offshore experiences etc when it's largely irrelevant to the role, and irritating. Not tarring all with that brush, but suggesting it's horses for courses, and much about personality - the right balance of experience, and willingness to learn the role specific skills. The entitled can rub people up the wrong way.

I see some HEMS operators using 2 pilots. Is it really so that there is no career track for the FO to become a captain (which would require building experience that count in the hours too)? Sounds strange... EASA rules really block this route, too?
It depends what experience the P2 had beforehand, and if you're any good. EASA require HEMS captains to have a min of 1000hrs P1, or 1000hrs total time with 500hrs as co-pilot in HEMS (or something to this effect). So if you have 1000hrs P1 and a few years HEMS P2 experience then there is a route, it's a question of if the face fits, and a P1 availability. If you have less than 1000hrs P1 then the hours in HEMS are quite slow, so it's not so easy to meet the requirements. 500hrs as HEMS co-pilot would probably be 3-4 years or so.