PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviate, SOP, Navigate, Communicate
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2016, 13:11
PLovett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem is, the new generations of pilots " a la MPL dct to AIRBUS" -British educated- are starting to be a majority...and they believe the **** they have been fed during training and normal line flying. They are already starting to be in flight ops management positions: there is no way you will be able to change their views...

1-SOPs SOPs SOPs
2- ap on at 200ft
3- ap off at 200ft.
4- visual? It is dangerous!!!!!!!!!!!
5- you are freezing in the cockpit because of trim air malfunction? We have to txt to company before switching off pack number one....
6- I go pee? Let me confirm ATC clearance when you are back...
7- manual thrust? Is not SOP
8- airbus design? The best in the world...( they don't even understand what happen in open descent mode)
9- before aligning IRS let me confirm the position coordinates with u...
10- are you sure you want to use manual braking?

It's just crazy....
Your scaring me now. It just seems so bleedin' obvious that that approach is a spiral dive to industrial level homicide.

Having just done my company's HF refresher units for the year, it made the point that SOPs' were good for those occasions when time was critical but that they couldn't cover every eventuality or indeed need to when there was time to consider options.

With Sully and flight 1549 he recognised that time was limited but not critical and SOPs' could not apply. He used his aviation knowledge to achieve a best outcome. I doubt that there are many cadet trained airline pilots who could reach that level of aviation knowledge ever as their training would appear to cover the usual but not the unusual.