PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New RAF Trainer
Thread: New RAF Trainer
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2016, 00:27
HP90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By "low level nav", I was referring to "dynamic" low-level nav such as the Mach Loop, etc. Considering the low numbers (only 10) of T-6Cs we have ordered, I figured they were going to shift some of the BFJT elements onto the G120TP, but the lack of bang seats makes me doubt this.

However, there is an interesting comment from Paul Livingstone, MD of Ascent, in this month's Air Forces Monthly (September, Page 8), saying that the numbers of T-6Cs ordered (and presumably other types too?) were based on the 2010 SDSR predictions of required pilot numbers, and therefore an order of additional airframes is now being considered.

The G120TP is certainly capable of dynamic manoeuvres, just go to 7:30 and 8:30 in the below video for two clips of a G120TP doing low-level high-speed passes over an airfield - it's speed and manoeuvrability are surprising!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXSTIxvutBc

Note that the UK will be getting the full glass cockpit version, unlike the analogue version shown in this video. One thing I worry about is complete ab-initio pilots (i.e. some who may have never even flown so much as a glider before) getting into a G120TP for their first ever experience of flying.

I know it has a power limiter, but still, especially with the glass cockpit, it could prove quite a handful. Time will tell as to whether a short bridging course is needed from the Tutor to the G120TP.

Last edited by HP90; 18th Aug 2016 at 00:41.