PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LIPS / API CLAIM DENIED
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2016, 17:45
Dune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry but there are 2 threads running on this subject so I posted on both.

I have no knowledge of this individual’s situation but having read through this thread it is obvious there may some misconception as to how such a disability plan operates. Also I am no longer flying or employed by Emirates (and am not a lawyer) so take the below in this context.

I joined LIPS very early in its existence. My understanding (incorrect at the time) was if I were to lose my GCAA license due to illness/disability I would receive 3 years basic salary from Emirates (paid immediately) and then 3 years later I would begin to receive LIPS coverage paid monthly. This immediate 3 year payout by Emirates would carry me through until I was able to find employment in another non-flying field and the ongoing LIPS payments would supplement my loss of income working in my alternative field. It was only years later I learned the LIPS payouts would begin immediately upon confirmation of illness/disability and not following a 3 year delay (which I thought to be somewhat generous).

I was also fairly confident if I had a very “cut-and-dry” disability (loss of limb, cancer, extensive heart disease, loss of sight, etc.) I would receive my benefits as long as I was never again able to hold a commercial pilots medical. As such, I understood this to be a “catastrophic” type of medical insurance and treated it accordingly. I was also aware I would be required to prove my ongoing disability (at the discretion of LIPS at their expense) and would lose my claim should my medical condition improve to such an extent I would be able to hold a commercial medical in my home country. I assume this is still the case?

Over the years I heard several stories about LIPS payouts which were somewhat suspect. It appears Emirates did not complete its due-diligence on several of their pilot claims and paid out prematurely. LIPS followed suit and only later it came to light the claims may have been fraudulent. In addition, at the odd house party I would hear pilots wistfully speak of how great it would be to have just enough of a health problem to get the Emirates/LIPS payouts and escape Dubai. Sort of a “get out of jail/early retirement scheme” plan.

As a contributor to LIPS, I was aware this sort of abuse could manifest and was disappointed LIPS did not complete more “due-diligence” on claims being paid out with my money. Their decision to use Harvey Watt as an honest broker I found comforting as LIPS (now API at this time) has no medical team employed directly to independently verify claims. Harvey Watts has been around since 1951 and does extensive aviation medical insurance work with many major airlines in the U.S. (inc. American and Delta and mostly in association with their respective unions). They employ aviation doctors whose sole purpose is to verify loss of medical claims. It appears the individual is suggesting Harvey Watt is paid an extra fee to reject claims yet I can find no instances of such on any of the internet searches I took of legal cases against Harvey Watt. If there is such a relationship this would be a very serious situation and the individual should provide us with some data.

I can only imagine how shocking it would be to lose your only source of employment due to a medical issue and I feel for this individual. It would be a very emotional, frustrating and scary experience. However, I can also understand why API (through Harvey Watts) is being cautious with their clients’ money and completing due diligence through a professional aviation 3rd party.

It appears the individual in question is more frustrated with the time it is taking to complete the due diligence process as well as the lack of communication from both Harvey Watt and API. I would agree communication is paramount and would expect better from both agencies (HW and API). However, I do find it odd the individual claims he is being forced to live off his savings when Emirates should have already paid out 3 years basic pay? In my mind even if the process takes a year (I think he mentioned 23 weeks so far?) there should be no financial stress on the individual given the substantial Emirates payout. Also I would expect the API payouts when (if) they are approved would be backdated to the loss of medical event so the time factor (other then frustrating) should not be an issue.

Given the above, if I were still a member of API I would be pleased with the due diligence process they employ. I think it ultimately protects the majority who legitimately use the service as intended (as I did and I am sure 100’s of others do) while weeding out potential frauds. Once again, I am in no way saying this case is such but in general terms I agree with what they appear to be doing. I would also hope at regular intervals (maybe every 3 years?) they review their current payouts and request re-validation from those who may have had an improvement in their health situation over the intervening years.