PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Legality of employer covering PPL flight training costs?
Old 17th Aug 2016, 17:34
T4RG4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Legality of employer covering PPL flight training costs?

Hello PPRuNe!

Long time lurker. Finally registered as I am about to start my student->PPL training. Well, I thought I was about to.

Question: In recent weeks my employer has offered to cover my PPL training. Can they legally do so without me contributing?

Background

I'm fortunate enough to be working in software development, creating flight simulations. My current job has placed me deep into the world of aviation and I've come to absolutely love everything related to flying. Over the last few months I've been thinking about getting my license. It would certainly help me better appreciate this world and therefore help with the day job. Converting the theory of piloting aircraft into solid, practical experience. It would also give me a real sense of achievement and I'm incredibly excited about the whole thing!

I am aware of the shared cost stance once qualified as a private pilot but what is the deal when it comes to student flight training? Do I have to be training for a CPL in order to have them cover my costs? I cannot find any information on this and have reached out to the CAA but to be honest I'm not expecting a speedy response for little old me. Maybe there is something I've overlooked and you can point me to the correct source. Any guidance you might be able to offer would be most welcome.

Thanks.
Steve

Last edited by T4RG4; 18th Aug 2016 at 20:44.