PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2016, 15:43
NigG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Above: Arthur at Kumbhirgram.

A letter to Arthur, 1944

This is one of the wartime letters that Arthur kept. I tend to think of those five months when 84 Squadron was in action over Burma, as being a great adventure. A mix of apprehension, excitement, camaraderie and professionalism. This letter shows that other things, too, could be going on.

Dated October 1944. From one of Arthur's Flight commanders. Address: Base Military Hospital, Bombay. This man had served in the Squadron, alongside Arthur, earlier in the Western Desert, then in Sumatra, in 1941-42. Like Arthur, he managed to escape from Sumatra when the Japs invaded and the Squadron was ultimately lost. He then re-joined 84 in India when it was about to be reformed under Arthur's command. Two months before this letter was written, 84 had withdrawn from Kumbhirgram, the airfield from which it conducted operations over Burma. It was currently stationed at Quetta (now in Pakisthan). Arthur had just left the Squadron, for a new, staff appointment at 221 Group..

Dear Arthur

Was so glad to hear of your appointment, congratulations, I wonder if you will like it as much as flying, I don’t think so, or do you?

Have been in hospital ever since my second day in Bombay, they proved Amoebic dysentery, and the treatment isn’t much to write home about, but I look forward to a brighter future. It nearly made me weep with self pity, when I realise now that I have had it for over three years and all the time I have put my looseness down to nervous reaction. The MO here says it’s no wonder I feel sick and weak.

Was more disappointed than sorry for myself that I cracked up at Kumbhirgram. I felt worse than ever after my leave, and was asked to join the Army. This was an impossible task, I could not have gone the first mile.

It was never easy to start the day with a false smile and pretend to be well, I had lost almost a stone in weight, and practically prayed that Group would move us before I had to give up. My days off were spent in bed or on my bed, trying to catch up on lost energy. I don’t know what I would have done without them.

I felt it very much too, because I knew you were getting disappointed and I had been more than proud of the work my flight were doing. I have never ‘turned in’ a job of any kind in my life, and to think one more week and I would have completed it with the others, makes me very bitter.

Although I am sure old doc wouldn’t admit it, I think he used my own suspicion of malaria as an excuse to get me into hospital, and having to see the psycho in Calcutta, made me wonder what the hell was going on. I told them they were barking up the wrong tree, and that something was pulling my health down, but they wouldn’t even listen to it.

The MO here assures me that things will be different when the amoeba is cleared away, and ‘my God’ I will be glad, as I was quite reconciled to accepting a discharge on arrival home, if they suggested it. But not now, it gives me a new hope of seeing this to the finish, I wouldn’t be proud to drop out at this stage - !

Doc also mentioned that nearly all the old hands have been, or will be posted in the near future. Hell!! What a mess –

Who is the new CO to be? I hope he keeps up the good name and the old Shaibah traditions, it would be a great pity to see it die out.
[These were the, great fun, initiation ceremonies for new-comers to the squadron]

I saw Group Captain Whitley in Calcutta at 11
[----] when I was there. It was the day Blackie’s and Dick’s DFCs appeared in the paper. We had quite a long chat and he seemed to think you would get something in due course. I do hope he has the gen, the squadron did put up a good show of which you can justly be proud. Three years is a mighty long time [with a squadron] and I’ve never regretted it since the day you put me wise to the old BAF Boyce [84 Sqn CO in N. Africa, noted for the lash of his tongue], I was a bit miserable up to then. You’ve probably forgotten, but we flew our kites to 116 the same evening.

It looks as if I will miss my boat through being here, but Aub, Gabe, Darling and Bruce will make it. Tomorrow I have a final test then back to Warli.
[Worli was a Base Reception Centre for aircrew passing through]

You got off before I could say goodbye in Quetta and was more than sorry to have gone before you got back, I should liked to have said it rather than to write it here. But thank you for a pleasant stay, our jobs were not always easy, they never are. I shall always think and talk of 84 and the times we have had together. And so Cheerio, I hope we will meet again some day, and still under the same flag.

Do drop me a line when your fan mail is not too heavy. I will add my home address –

All the best with lots of rubber stamping!

Yours...