PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Computers need to know what they are doing
Old 17th Aug 2016, 14:32
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Em3ry,

Your posts make it clear that you have no knowledge of piloting an aircraft. Some of us who are pilots also know a little about computers. I have studied university level AI. You obviously haven't. You've read an article about the Google car and have come onto a professional pilot's forum telling everyone how to fix the industry. You are way out of your depth.

One speculated cause of the latest crash was a man-machine interface issue. I'm not aware of a similar accident in recent times, so it's a rare one.

As I have said, this will continue to be an issue, but rushing automation will not be the solution. In fact, it is very likely the cause.

Yes, more advanced warning systems and improved man-machine philosophy and training will continue to improve safety, but in aviation it is a slow process because a new technology must be well proven and certified before it can be implemented (a bit like medical science). If it takes an automotive company 5 years to develop and certify a lane-warning system on a car, you can bet it would take 15 years to do something similar on an aircraft.

The state of the industry at present (and for the forseeable future) is that it is very difficult for a human to hand fly an aircraft all day safely. It is also impossible for a computer to do the same. So the best solution is a combination of the two. It is the man-machine interface that we are working on, and it's not easy. Financial pressure on training, pay, conditions, fatigue etc also influence the human element, often leading to suggestions that increased automation is the answer. Widely held recent opinion is that it is not.

Last edited by Derfred; 17th Aug 2016 at 15:04.