PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Panic in Pilots
Thread: Panic in Pilots
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2003, 07:37
No. 15

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I agree that just because it has not been mentioned as a causal factor in the past does not mean it doesn't exist or has been avoided in the past.

Flying is a highly task orientated vocation. SOPs, AFMs, rules and regs etc all tell us what do, when and how. Airmanship "may" be considered as the human side of our operation - and the study of that into CRM. (Very crude statement, I'll admit).

Lack of situational awareness, assertiveness (single & multi crew environment); the ego factor; complacency and inexperience are just some factors that may cause a pilot to go down the wrong path when all signs indicate otherwise. CFIT accidents are a prime example.

Perhaps investigate "panic" from the point of view of experience . Have a chat at any flying school with some instructors and see how many panic expamples there are with students as opposed to airline pilots with 5000+ hours.

As pilots we are trained not to panic - ever. From my early training days I still believe the same holds true in any and every situation:
1. Fly the aeroplane.
2. Asess the situation.
3. Land as soon as conditions permit.

Just my 2 cents worth.......

Good luck with your study and research.