PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Origin of airport country prefixes
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2016, 07:02
n5296s

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Wikipedia and Flightaware both show Noi Ban as VVNB...?

I quite like MUHA, sounds like a super-villain just getting starting on his trademark super-villain laugh. So it's kind of appropriate that its Havana.

MYAS (Sandy Point, Bahamas) has a certain schoolboy humour to it.

British airport codes really seem to have been invented by an anal compulsive with a bad hangover. I mean, in what respect is it helpful that the third letter reflects the communication centre that the airport is (well, was once) associated with? And you have to admit that making EGGW be anything other than Gatwick shows, at best, a slightly sadistic sense of humour.

Not that Australia is a lot better. Having the unusual advantage of a single-letter country code, they could have followed the example of the US or Canada: YSYD, YMEL. But they went for a geographic system like the UK - YS for Syndey, YM for Melbourne, etc. But they could STILL have had YSYD and YMEL, instead of YSSY and YMML. But I guess that didn't fit in with the OCD handbook.

Of course to want the job of assigning airport codes you probably need a fair degree of OCD. And it's better than inventing IEC battery designator codes, that nobody even uses.