PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 6
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 6
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2016, 06:55
ATNotts

Received 298 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by tubby linton
Does anybody know when the figures for the FY to the end of March 2016 will be published?
It is interesting that in the last set of figures they seem to have made more money as a shopping centre than as an airport.
The airport certainly seems to have a lot of directors. I wonder how many actually contribute to the operation?
Their emolument costs increased by over 25%.One director earned comsiderably more than my airline CEO!
It also shows that employee costs barely rose, probably because the airport pays only minimum wage.
https://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/...te-version.pdf
I'm not sure what's so surprising about that. Since the "low cost" revolution many airlines have taken the view that it's not their job to pay for using airports, so the revenue has to come from somewhere else, be that retailers, trolley charges, fast lane security, car parking etc. etc. That these figures are increasing as a proportion of total revenue is hardly surprising. I doubt there is a single major airport in UK where the trend toward being a "shopping centre with parking for airliners" isn't the norm. personally I dislike that trend but that's life today.

As for directors, as BHX is part public owned, you can expect local politicians to have a seat at the big table. I'm afraid that the question of how much the directors "earn" is a thorny one generally, and the gulf between salaries for executives and your average joe will continue to widen. One assumes (hopes) that executive pay is performance related, that may reflect why the director of BHX perhaps earns more than the CEO at your employer - not knowing who that employer is.