PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JD Aviation
Thread: JD Aviation
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2016, 19:22
octavian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odai:

I notice some employers in the airline industry insist on the provision of a "flight school report". Any issues in this regard with it being a small outfit?

Allow me to approach this from a slightly different angle:

Let us say that a university graduate applies for a position with an employer. The employer, or at the very least the HR department will need to see proof of qualification. That will be the degree scroll, or some appropriate piece of documentation provided by the university. I'm not convinced that many universities would be enamoured with prospective employers contacting them for what amounts to a school report.

Moving to the world of aviation, and having completed and passed your PPL training, the school will have verified this and you will be issued with a proof of qualification - a licence issued by the appropriate authority on the basis that the training was completed and the flight test was passed.

When you complete your ATPL (or CPL) theory exams the same basic process is followed and you get a piece of paper from the licensing authority showing the passes and associated marks (and attempt number if appropriate)

Moving on to the CPL and IR courses, the same practical principles apply although in those cases a course completion certificate has to be raised by the Approved Training Organisation (ATO) in addition to the documentation required by the issuing authority to confirm that the minimum amount of training has been completed. The training records that the ATO hold are privileged information, and would you really want your ATO to divulge information which may show bad patches in your training to a prospective employer?

At the end of this you will have a proof of qualification - a licence, with relevant ratings, which is what the employer really needs to see. Most airlines will take that and the confidence in the training process that has led to its issue as sufficient proof. Its a bit like a degree qualification. Incidentally, and maybe even a bit like universities, the name or size of the school is no guarantee of the quality of the training you will receive.

I am aware of but one airline which has sought access to student training records, as if they sought confirmation that the candidate had actually done the training. Perhaps they didn't believe the physical presence of the licence. Who knows? From my own knowledge of JD Aviation, I am aware that a polite refusal to "hand over" the records was accepted in the covering letter which provided dates of training and a vague assessments of attributes. At least two JDA graduates worked for that airline.

In this day and age, and with certain types of school trying to enhance their own reputations, it may be that such "end of school" reports are forthcoming. In my opinion they add no value to the recruitment process, having the potential to be subjective and a means of talking up the school. The reality is that the licence and its ratings are the qualification, and what happens at the interview and during the sim ride is down to you and that will tell the prospective employer all that he needs to know.

Having looked at a number of your posts, you are undoubtedly researching this very carefully. You won't find everything out via Google or PPRuNe. go talk to the principals, visit the schools and make your choice, but don't expect others to choose for you.