PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Young ATPL F.O. 200Hrs TT on right seat.....
Old 16th Aug 2016, 09:39
AerocatS2A

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Everyone keeps talking about particular traps that various types have and how you need to be trained to be aware of them. I think this is missing the larger point. As far as I'm aware every aircraft type is still capable of being flown with one hand on the yoke and the other on the thrust levers controlling attitude and power/thrust manually. What these incidents seem to show is a failure of the pilot flying to be a pilot flying. There is something fundamentally wrong when a pilot can sit and realise the speed is low but not take full manual control and fix it. The traps shouldn't matter, if it's not doing what you want it to be doing, remove the automation and fix it. The protections shouldn't matter, if it's not doing what you want it to be doing, remove the automation and fix it. If you get to a point where protections either kick in and save the day or don't kick in because they're not available in that particular mode then you have already gone way past the point of royally screwing things up. You should have never ever allowed the situation to develop to that point.

They're just aeroplanes. They're just big Cessna 172s with some extra engines, a bit more weight, a bit faster, and crucially, various levels of automation designed to help YOU, the pilot, FLY THE AEROPLANE.

I had a discussion with someone recently after they flew a visual approach using automation in an aeroplane that doesn't have very good automation. It was done with a lack of finesse and we started out with a VS that was a bit higher than necessary and consequently we got low on profile. Because the automation is poor in this type and you can't select an exact VS or easily change it once you've got it, there's a tendency to wait and see how things pan out for a lot longer than you should. I told him afterwards that if he'd been hand flying the approach he would have naturally adjusted the attitude and speed to stay on profile but that he'd become a little trapped by the automation. He knew it wasn't doing what he wanted, he knew we were getting low on profile but it seemed that disconnecting the automation was like admitting defeat, when it should just be a natural response to a level of automation being inappropriate for the current task.

If ever it's not doing what you want it to be doing, then remove the automation and fly the bloody aeroplane yourself! The automation is there to help you, not the other way around, whenever there is a time that you can do a better job than the automatics, get rid of them.