PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - how to stop pax taking hand luggage in evacuation?
Old 15th Aug 2016, 10:15
Tourist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooperplace
I agree no airline has succeeded, but I doubt that any have tried very hard. They rely on crew announcements "remain seated" etc. My suggestion includes a visual representation, as outlined earlier in the thread, of what could happen as a result of pax taking luggage during evacuation. I don't believe that 100% of the pax will ever get the message but I suggest that with a mix of the right measures, 90% might. And this could make a big difference in evacuation from a burning plane.
Ok.

Lets just take the example of the Big 3 middle eastern airlines.

To make this work, since they carry such a large % of passengers you would have to get their governments to sign up to this new law.

They absolutely know that if they do, they will definitely be committing to prosecuting their own nationals the next time they have an incident requiring an abandon aircraft.

These are countries where they can't stop their own nationals driving the wrong way down motorways.

The idea that they could ever possibly persuade them that they should not take their baggage with them is ludicrous, particularly when you consider the quantities of cash that many of them are carrying.