View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2016, 05:11
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Mechta
This could be the Busk Memorial Pond:

Hampshire Treasures: Volume 3 ( Hart and Rushmoor), Page 221 - Farnborough

A bit about ET Busk here: http://www.airsciences.org.uk/FAST_B...hmakerBusk.pdf

There was another rectangular lily pond, either outside the medical centre or the nearby building the RAF used. Both were near the old control tower. I also recall being told there were fish in the large cooling(?) pond by the five metre tunnel, as well as some more in another pond on the Pyestock site.

With regard to the RAE gates, they weren't considered imposing enough when Nevil Shute's 'No Highway' was being filmed, so some more ornate ones were created. After filming, these gates were installed at the RAE Sports Ground, where the retail park is now by the A331.
The 'new' pond is north of the site where the medical centre used to stand. I vaguely remember a lily pond outside the medical centre, but I don't think this was deep enough for fish. The rectangular pond in the grounds of the staff mess (which contained a lot of fish) was possibly the Busk memorial Pond.
The gates in the photo above were once I believe, at 'South Gate' which was the gate nearest the staff mess in RAE Road and not far from the FAST Museum.

Last edited by chevvron; 16th Aug 2016 at 00:18.