PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - forced landing - THE FIELD CHOOSES YOU!
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2016, 00:42
horizon flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes Madbob I was lucky to have found a field, but all these accident reports flooded through my head. One was a report of don't fixate on one side of the plane scan all round, the other was don't stall it in on approach, hit the far hedge if you have to, it's much softer and don't stretch the glide . Did I go through all the pre crash actions no. Just concentrated on keeping up the approach speed, was at full mental load. What helped was in my training we always did PFLs to 20ft across the chosen field, stopping at 500ft does not help with confidence.

The field I went for I knew was to short but I knew I could make it, the bonus was the far hedge was low and there was another field beyond which I ended up using. The other bonus it was a high wing Cessna, a Cardinal RG with a 57mph stall speed. I think in a Piper Arrow may have been different, as the whole wing would have hit the hedge and may have cart wheeled the plane. It took the press 12 minute to arrive the police 20 and no fire or ambulance ever showed up. If I close my eyes and think about it I can still see this hedge line coming towards me at 85mph before pulling over it.

There was no time to panic just follow through your training to survive, fastest 60 seconds and shortest 1.5 miles of my life.

Last edited by horizon flyer; 31st Oct 2016 at 15:54.