PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two ways of enjoying aviation inside one hour
Old 14th Aug 2016, 18:51
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
Two ways of enjoying aviation inside one hour

Iwas going to just post this question in the hope that one of the helpful experts ehre can help me out but decided to broaden it,

Enjoying a beautiful summers evening meal around 7pm, just before I think, in peaceful camberley became aware of a very unusual engine note -summer sundays are always good here because so many VFR aircraft transit the edge of the London TMA which runs between Camberley and Bagshot and this sounded intriguing. Nipping around to the front of the house for a betterr view view i was rewarded with biplane which I didn't recognize-not a Moth of any kind as had a radial engine and not an AN2 either as harsher engine note and smaller -Staggerwing/Norseman? seemed to have a slightly odd nose up cruise but that could have been an illusion-any ideas please?

Anyway the other part of the post is an hour later I catch the latter half of -Flying to the ends of the Earth where a wheelchair bound determined presenter visits all sorts of out of the way places-in this programme he is in Peru and ahs to visit a village high in the Andes pretty much only accessable by air-one of the worlds trickiest approaches. Well I have heard that before but this on didn't disappoint as the two local pilots twist and turn their King Air along a winding river valley well below the canyon sides and close to both edges while they descend in search of a specific cactus which is the Kai Tak Checkerboard for this approach- at the cactus its a hard sharp and low level turn onto about two hundred yards of finals to what ia actually quite a decent runway. Interesting-it seems even Peruvian regional turboprop pilots are as laconic as Nigels or ex USN Delta guys as they describe the very tricky let down for the Cactus approach.

All in all pleasant end to a lovely English summers day-only needed the sound of a DH Gypsy engine stuttering its way home for perfection