PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2016, 16:14
Bergerie1

Received 48 Likes on 19 Posts
White Knight says that when he was an IRE/TRE he saw many go-arounds mishandled on the simulator. That was my experience too but usually when the GA was unexpected, not during a ‘normal’ IR test when the trainee was expecting a GA after an ILS approach.

I believe a GA is a normal manoeuvre so far as aircraft handling goes – after all it is only a matter of changing from a descent to a climb even if it is at low level. The things that tend to catch people out during line flying are that (a) it is unexpected, (b) it is at light weight therefore the ROC is high, and (c) it might involve following a rather more difficult flight path than usual. If the GA is conducted with an engine out, the ROC is less but (c) there is the additional need for careful application of rudder.

However, the basic control of the aircraft ought still to be straight forward. I have seen too many pilots applying power in an overly aggressive way and then being caught out by the sudden pitch change from underslung engines, difficulty in applying the correct amount of rudder in the asymmetric case, and the high ROC causing them to overshoot the cleared altitude. All these problems can be controlled by applying a firm but judicious amount of power at the start of the GA.

But above all, I strongly support RAT 5’s contention that all approaches should be flown with a GA in mind right up to the point where reverse thrust is selected. I cannot emphasise too strongly that, at all times, one must have a well thought out ‘Plan B’ - whether it be the RTO on take-off, pre-thought out en-route alternates, the diversion alternate (and the initial route to get there) or a go-around on EVERY approach.

Thus, I would add to what I said before about ‘never letting your aircraft go where your mind had not been before’ by saying ALWAYS have a well thought out ‘Plan B’.

I used to fly old fashioned round-dial aircraft with only basic auto-throttles so I can’t comment on TOGA and all the other automatics you all have today. But I guess you still only have to press two buttons to make it return to a normal basic hand-flown aircraft!