PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST AIRPORT INTERNATIONAL
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2016, 13:58
PPRuNeUser0176

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATNotts

I don't think the Irish government dare say a word about state assistance when it comes to airlines. EI, love them though I do wouldn't be around now if it wasn't for bailouts even despite the EU saying they were illegal, yet of all when the Hungarian government fell foul with Europe Malev was assisted into destruction. Plenty other enhancements offered to airlines, EI is being funded to land in Hartford Connecticut for instance, also several regional French airport's have offered subsidies to FR - the same airline that cried foul about EI.
EI are not been funded in Hartford but they have been offered a guarantee that if EI cannot make a certain profit % over a few years they will pay them. If you ask me they will receive little if any of it.

By the way it does not require a Goverment to complain to the EC about it, any member of the public can raise it and the EC will look and investigate if appropriate.

I really don't think EI are worried at all about it, they will still continue to fill planes ex DUB with some NI pax. They didn't raise the APD cut with Europe when I expect they would have a good case given the ruling handed down to ROI about varied APD in a State.

EI packing in BFS has left a big chip on people's shoulder If EI announced they would operate a NY route for the 9 million I expect people would be only delighted.