PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2016, 23:40
VONKLUFFEN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RAT 5
that it is the one of the two situations where the Autothrottle system will not 'wake up'.

I'm assuming that like all Boeing the FMA's will annunciate THR HLD!

Actually it's not a 'normal' manoeuvre! It rarely happens on the line compared to taking off.

It should be a normal manoeuvre. It should not be complicated. It is rarely a surprise, knowing the Wx. On this occasion there seems to be a surprise element. Therefore, IMHO, a GA should be a simple profile. Thus it should be a similar to a 'normal' takeoff procedure. Following my philosophy any approach is a GA until TR's are selected. This helps reduce some of surprise element. Why make an easy job difficult. There are 4 basic associated manoeuvres: takeoff, all eng GA, eng fail on takeoff, eng fail GA. The more similar you can make these the more likely the accuracy of the crews performing calmly and accurately. Why oh why did Boeing make the B737 NG all eng GA different from the other 3 in that you accelerate by moving the flap lever. Where did that come from? There is also written that the flaps can start to be retracted at 400agl. What's the rush? Not must, but can be. I have watched a crew doing this at 400' with great stress (SOP's) placed on retracting the flaps ASAP. Guess what; >50 screw ups. WTF is the rush? It's a F15 takeoff starting above the ground. If acceleration on a F15 takeoff is OK at 1000' why change it on a higher stress manoeuvre like a GA? Why close the MCP speed window on a rarely performed possibly unexpected manoeuvre. From a human performance perspective it doesn't seem the smartest idea.
I found GA's were briefed in the same robotic manner as a takeoff brief. PF is a cassette player and PM is yawning. When the Wx predicted a likely GA my brief was was made with a little more emphasis. It then included what would happen next regarding a hold or diversion or 2nd approach. Was there radar or not etc. etc. Both of us touch drilled the GA. There was no doubt who would do what & when. In the heat of the moment I found the B757/767 was the same as a takeoff, so why complicate B737?
If A/T is armed but not active ....it won't wake up for speed protection if FLCH SPD, VNAV SPD AND TOGA...
FCOM 2

And thx Rat, as you said why the rush!!! Damm!

Last edited by VONKLUFFEN; 13th Aug 2016 at 23:43. Reason: Include extra comment