PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southwest Pilot Productivity
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2016, 22:56
MD80767 Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never understood the American model of paying more,as the plane grows bigger. Did medium haul in a 150 seater for many years. On a good day, I moved 550 pax. On a really bad day, 300. Now - why should the longhaul guy who on a good day, moved 300...get paid more??

S
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
I am not in SW and I am not an analyst juggling metrics.
Two points on that hit piece against SW pilots, and a repeat of one pithy criticism made in the comments.
This is one of those "figures lie and liars figure" bits of intellectual dishonesty that was called out by a few comments after the piece. When you assess his writing style, you find him treating "pilots" as a commodity, not as people. There's another working point that could use thoughtful consideration. Is it hours or sorties/sectors that demand the most from pilots? If I fly three sectors in 8 hours, or one sector in 8 hours, regardless of the cost efficiencies of the wide body (and there are many) the value the pilots provide goes beyond the author's narrow metric because each and every take off and landing represents a risk to the company, which is generally mitigated / prevented by the flight deck crew. They add value on each and every evolution in the terminal phase, two per sector, that he will not and cannot put into his metrics, most likely because he may understand dollars, but he doesn't understand flying.
This man does not understand why unions exists, nor does he apparently understand the term accountability. A very colonialist attitude toward labor. People who work for unaccountable managers get screwed. (That does not only apply to the air transport industry).
Interesting point on a flaw in the analytical model being used.