PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2016, 19:41
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Never let your aircraft go where your mind has not been before.'

It's been quoted many times by one of the senior NTSB investigators on Air Crash Investigation and should be on the door of every training dept & crew room.

Didn't argue with the LTC, no point, but I found the SOP in question in the Line Training notes, apparently they are worried about cadets freezing and overpowering the flight controls.
This is the problem, the guidance cadets are given is appropriate for their level of experience, the trainers use this guidance for all pilots in a one size fits all training programme.
Useless.

Oh dear: sounds like another case of SOP's over-rides airmanship. I've worked only for Boeing airlines. There's not a whole load of difference between B757/767/738. However, in 8 airlines with 8 different CP's there were 8 different ways to do the same thing; and definitely some better than others. Some methods incorporated more airmanship. Some incorporated more rigid SOP's and less discretion. I learnt/was told that some ways were wrong, not allowed, dangerous = rigid SOP's. Some ways were general guidance and airmanship/best practice encouraged. What amazed was the rigid SOP brigade advocated use of airmanship. I remain confused but relaxed in my retirement.