PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2016, 19:38
4runner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rumet
Given that the precise impact of TOGA switches just pre- or post-ground contact may change one or more times in short time intervals, possibly generating confusion or misunderstandings, and since even a one-off ‘Check Thrust Set’ under AT does not guarantee thrust will not be gone a moment later, how about the following SOPs:

- No manual flying with AT On, i.e. AP Off means AT also Off

- All flying ‘close to the ground’, i.e. eg all flying below 500 ft agl is to be manual (in the above sense, AP and AT both Off) in all flight phases including GA. Only exception allowed for Cat III landing, but even then in case of GA disconnect both AP and AT

- Gear up only above 500 ft agl

I realise late gear up may hinder initial climb performance, but on the other hand calling gear up on the only evidence of positive climb or ROC when close to the ground leaves one exposed if ROC becomes negative right after…
Gear down until 500...and you even bothered to distinguish between agl and msl. Well done Captain Armchair. Keep the new regulations flowing. Maybe you can help with changing all those pesky and outdated single engine climb segments that they so ackwardly imposed.