PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Scholarships?
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2016, 16:39
iRaven

Received 40 Likes on 10 Posts
Sandy Wings

When I did my PPL when BEagle was the CFI (I think) of Brize Flying Club there were full time instructors and I did my full PPL in 3.5 weeks (a fortnight, a week and a couple of weekends). I think that Brize FC is not as big as it used to be, but certainly along with Cosford, Halton, Waddington, Moray, Benson, Lyneham (based at Kemble), Wyton and possibly Cranwell Flying Clubs they could deliver these scholarships - and they do for Junior Ranks already The RAF Charitable Trust Junior Rank Pilot Scholarship Scheme 2016 as a marginal activity over a year. I know that a couple of RAF Flying Clubs could deliver twice the 24 with ease on their own if tasked.

I also have never heard of the Air Cadet contract going to tender - indeed a lot of the RAF Flying Clubs used to deliver flying scholarships to Cadets and this was wrenched away from them when Dundee were given the contract. I believe the head of Dundee at the time was also the head of a VGS at Arbroath and so, with a bit of lobbying, the die was cast from this when the RAF were trying to save money. The sad thing is there were cheaper solutions right on their doorstep!

I do know that Dundee deliver a fantastic product to the Air Cadets - but just like the barking mad plan for VGS with up to a 3 hour travelling time for Cadets EACH WAY, then it's all about "location, location, location". If you live in Cornwall or Kent then a flying scholarship in Dundee is a bit of a nightmare!

iRaven