PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2016, 14:21
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ArchieBabe
Ian W

With all respect due to you (and you may well have even described the accident itself), I do struggle so, when I hear/read people saying "...the aircraft did this" or "the aircraft did that" and "...suddenly".

To be "harsh", if what you describe is what happened, I can only point out that the crew were not new to DXB or to the T7.
It was their "time to shine". And it may well be, they didn't.

Nor was the crew "new" to flying. Whilst "the book" states, call check power and verify Go Around thrust is set....and at a positive rate of climb, call positive rate, it "allows" for, shall we call it "discretion" (It is "a book" afterall. Mere pieces of paper. It doesn't actually "fly the plane").
By that I mean, if you don't think/feel/know....then don't call "positive rate". It's at your "discretion". You judge it !
If you think "ah.... it maybe xyz", then don't call it.

I apologise if it sounds "harsh", it is not meant in that way, nor is it direct at you. It's just, I hear "...then suddenly" alot these days !
Archie no problem - be harsh this should be an egoless discussion

Unless there was an engine malfunction the power was not applied probably/possibly because of TOGA button inhibit. I was just hypothesizing (without apportioning error) how an aircraft could apparently have sufficient positive rate of climb for the crew to believe it was safe for gear to be selected up.