PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flaming Toilet Rolls
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2016, 11:33
Swamp Duck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Single pilot, Proline 21 King Air. FL320 one sector, dunny roll landing on a dirt strip in the middle of the night on the next or maybe both in the same sector. Never know what you will be doing or where you will be going until you get the call and then it's on and even that can change before you get there. RFDS, best flying job in the world I say.

Dunny roll landings are quite common in the RFDS. If a station does not have flares it is the best option as it meets the requirements for lighting and dunny rolls and diesel are usually readily available on stations. If not, car headlight landing is an option with the use of four cars, two to mark the threshold and two to mark the far end of the airstrip. https://youtu.be/itIUm6vExEw (link to YouTube RFDS PC12 car headlight landing, not mine)

Dunny rolls are preferred as a car head light landing can only be done if all other options have been exhausted and must be declared a mercy flight although is used if required.

Night circling approaches in the remote outback offer other challenges as there is usually no other lights anywhere and if moonless or overcast there is no horizon, just complete black other than the flares or the two crosses drawn on the airstrip with car headlights. Real black hole circling approach into 1000m dirt strip which may have trees to the threshold.

Car headlight landings on remote dirt airstrips are part of an RFDS pilot's night checks and yes they are in our manuals.

The RFDS motto, "can do, can do safely" is a good way to describe the operation. If it can't be done safely it is not done.

I am also the pilot in the above mentioned interview and love my job

Last edited by Swamp Duck; 13th Aug 2016 at 12:31.