PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tracey Curtis-Taylor (Merged threads)
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2016, 11:13
Mike Flynn

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I must admit TCT and her flying is a surreal saga.

It reminds me of the hype when Lady Sarah Ferguson claimed to have learnt to fly.
There are no pictures anywhere of her ever flying alone although she did a solo press call at RAF Benson. After she was given a ppl she never flew again.

I was told at the time by someone at Benson there was never any plan for her to actually use the licence.

Here she is describing her flying with former CNN chat show host Larry King.

KING: Where -- how did you come to learn to fly a helicopter?

FERGUSON: Well, when I married Prince Andrew, he was a pilot, and so I couldn't understand a word he talked about because he -- they all talk in navex (ph) and abbreviations, certainly in the services. So I thought the only way to do it was to learn, so I learned. And it was the most difficult thing I've ever done, I think.

KING: Why a helicopter.

FERGUSON: Well, I suppose because it's so versatile. You know, it's like me. You can go anywhere. You don't have to have a runway, you can just sneak over fields and look and see what's going on. And you can chase rabbits from the air, you know?

KING: I just flew in one a couple weeks ago to see my face in a cornfield. And I'm shocked. And I still don't buy the principle, how they go straight up...

FERGUSON: I know.

KING: ... and stand still, almost.

FERGUSON: You have to -- how you learn to hover is the most extraordinary feeling. It's like sitting on top of a bull. How do you manage to hover an aircraft on top of a bull?

KING: And they make a lot of noise.

FERGUSON: Yes, they make an awful lot of noise. But the great thing is, is that it gives you the freedom. And you're in the sky as you're flying around, but it's -- I would never do it again on my own.
CNN.com - Transcripts

The whole transcript is worth reading if you have the time. Lady Sarah seems to be on another planet.

Last edited by Mike Flynn; 13th Aug 2016 at 11:28.