PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASL/DHL overrun LIME/BGY Italy
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2016, 11:02
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As you are near to or at flying speed, there isn’t much acceleration required before you can get back into the air.

On a B737 Vref landing = V2 GA flap. If the decision is made PDQ then the distance required to get airborne again is minimal. One would hope that the curly hairs on the back of the safety sensor have been twitching since 200'. Will we, won't we?? Then in the flare there should be lots of "Oops" and a OMG this is not good. Even after the wheels touch your mind could be halfway towards a GA and so it's not a suddens surprise, if you have been forewarned and if you have experienced, even just once in the sim, this decision making process and executed it.
What is required is some imaginative thinking to create this scenario in the sim. You don't want to allow the crew to enter the braking phase for more than 1 sec. It's similar to the decision at (just before) V1 and the delay to act with a Stop; in this case a Go. I'm sure that once experienced never forgotten.
It's like I drummed into my cadets: a takeoff is a stop until V1; an approach is a GA until TR's are selected. Hence my dislike of flaring with hands on TR's.