PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2016, 03:18
tdracer

Received 186 Likes on 90 Posts
My point precisely, TDracer. Why are the TOGA buttons anywhere near the reverser levers? On other aeroplanes, the GA buttons are on the back of the throttles; no chance of bumping them when pulling Reverse.

Given that the Boeing TOGA buttons have been in the same place for over 50 years, moving them could easily cause more problems than it solves

Those guys did not go flying that day to not bother to check TOGA when they needed it (if indeed that is what happened). Don't slip into the group of "they stuffed it up, no more to see, move along please".
It's called training for a reason. As I noted previously the 777 autothrottle is not considered or certified to be flight critical system. No, I repeat NO training program should tell or teach pilots to trust their and their passengers lives to a system that's not flight critical. The pilot needs to have his hand on the throttle to push go-around - just how hard is it to teach/train them to make sure the throttles actually move? When I select cruise control on my car, I always look to make sure it actually is controlling to the selected speed - why shouldn't I hold a so-called professional pilot to that same standard?