PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aerodynamics
Thread: Aerodynamics
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2016, 19:54
Peter H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keith williams
I have not heard these terms used in the manner which you describe, but I think you will find that:

The term "Passive Stability" refers to a situation in which the vehicle is naturally (inherently) stable and does not require any artificial stabilization systems. This would require positive static stability and positive dynamic stability.

The term "Active Stability" refers to the use of artificial stabilizing systems, to improve the handling of vehicles which do not exhibit sufficient passive stability. An example of such a system would be an aircraft Automatic Stabilization system (Basic Autopilot)
I think Keith is right, and his view is certainly consistent with the usage in:

this examination of two flying wings:
It’s a Bird; It’s a Plane; It’s a…Cucumber? An Examination of the Stabilizing Characteristics of Alsomitra Macrocarpa
It?s a Bird; It?s a Plane; It?s a?Cucumber? An Examination of the Stabilizing Characteristics of Alsomitra Macrocarpa | Bio-Aerial Locomotion

... and this
Active and passive stabilization of body pitch in insect flight
Active and passive stabilization of body pitch in insect flight | Journal of The Royal Society Interface

Last edited by Peter H; 12th Aug 2016 at 20:00. Reason: forget 1st url, added another