PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wg Cdr Arthur Gill, OBE, DFC
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2016, 15:43
Danny42C

Plainer Tales from the Raj.

NigG,

Far be it from me to ruffle the feathers of a true Memsahib (and a Daughter of the Raj to boot !) - "By gad, Sir, fella' should be horsewhipped" - and I most humbly apologise for any inadvertent offence I may have given.

But I was never aware that "Miss-Sahib" had the faintest implication of an Anglo-Indian backgroud. Are you sure ? - I thought it was just as deferential and acceptable as: "Burra-Sahib, Chota-Sahib, Sahib, MemSahib and (!) Miss-Sahib". Now I know better and will not make the same mistake again. Just shows, the R.A.F. may have made me an Officer - but hardly a complete Gentleman !

EDIT::
Retraction: Heaven fofend that a nicely brought up young lady should find vicarious pleasure in juicy accounts of the peccadillos of her less virtuous sisters !!

I now see that the sleeve is neatly rolled up. and it obscures the bottom stripe. Sorry, Sergeant ! (I, too was a Sergeant [-Pilot] for some time before my Commission came through), But I am still foxed by the sash (?) and the strange thing (right shoulder) with the three eyelets. What could they possibly have been for ?.

I would hazard a guess that there was only a small Anglo-Indian community at Quetta - but a very big one in Calcutta, where the girls were extensively employed as clerks, typists and secretaries, for whom WAC service would be an obvious attraction. All I can say, is that it was like that in my day.

As for Quetta, my story starts on p.150 on "Pilot's Brevet" (# 2993), and your Mother may find it entertaining, as it tells of a time (summer - autumn 1944) when you say she was also there.

Lovely photo of the happy couple - note your Father's slicked-back hair. On wedding photo 1955, mine is exactly the same - "the last of the Brylcreem Boys !"

Must now prepare my daily stint on "Fly Past", so will return later ("Tora Peachi, MemSahib" !)

Danny.

Last edited by Danny42C; 12th Aug 2016 at 16:30. Reason: Addn.