PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates B777 gear collapse @ DXB?
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2016, 09:10
glofish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ekwb

I disagree. One of the more discomforting things i felt changing onto the Airbus, was the non moving thrust levers. It was either "him" in control of thrust, or me, but in any case only one. On the MD11 we were never told not to disconnect the AT (moving levers) but to anticipate any move, to assist it. It turned out, that most pilots left the AT in and appreciated the nice symbiosis: If he was slow, i gave thrust, if i was lazy/fatigued or whatever, he backed me up.

With the many Airbus 320 getting into almost half of the airlines, the Airbus manners were installed into many young pilots. Today i can almost instantly tell, if a young colleague started airline ops in a 737 or in a 320. The latter using levers more as hand-rests than anything else because almost all airlines have a "don't disconnect the AT" policy.

It would be very interesting to check how many of the pilots who were involved in such incidents lately were exposed to Airbus previously.

Don't get me wrong, the Airbus is fine, just as is the Boeing. But i slowly come to the conclusion, that those who have started jet airline flying on a Bus should remain on a Bus and vice versa with Boeing. The very short and sometimes repetitive transitions seem to prove that it adds a slice to the Swiss cheese.

@ Volume:

Another gadget will not do the trick, we have too many installed anyway. In a moment where pilots are slightly stunned, the known procedures are mishandled if there are too many.
I suggest to simply go back to basics and fly the aircraft first, with your lower back and some trained hands.